As I’ve mentioned in previous blog posts, basic SEO can be implemented yourself. Although hiring an expert will achieve better results, they are often far too expensive for small businesses. In this post, I share five more quick tips to help your SEO. While the last post was pretty straightforward, these tricks are a bit more unconventional, and therefore may be things that your business has overlooked.
1. Put yourself in local directories. Search around and find out all of the different websites that advertise businesses for free. You can write up a blurb, and copy it into every directory. Even though they may seem small or insignificant, it only takes five minutes of your time and is adding your brand to another place.
2. Don’t rely on google. You could spend a fortune to become the first result on google. But Google is constantly changing and evolving, the first result one day may not be the first result another day. Instead, use a variety of places to advertise yourself. Social media is a huge tool for businesses trying to advertise. Doing paid ads and joining groups related to your niche are both ways that you can get your business out there without having to spend an arm and a leg. Google ranking can still be a great tool to utilize, just don’t put all of your eggs in one basket.
3. Create a blog. Blogs add more pages of your website to google. This means you will have a higher chance of coming up when someone searches something related to your niche. Many successful businesses do it, and it can be relatively easy. Everyone has a different set of skills, and sharing your knowledge with others is one of the quickest ways to build a loyal customer base. Research in your niche to find out what other companies are writing about. See if you can find a gap in the market, an area that you know about that hasn’t been touched on. Try to avoid heavily saturated topics, as you are less likely to show up on people's searches.
4. Don’t spend hours on content that has a short shelf life. Things like websites and SEO will always be in fashion, because a business will always need them. Something like a fidget spinner is just a quick trend. Make sure that your content can be relevant for months, or even years. It is not worth it to put time into something that will soon be forgotten about. Companies that are not looking towards the future are more likely to fail, as we live in an ever-changing world where things go in and out of style every day.
5. Have patience! Just because you don’t see results overnight does not mean that you have failed. Most business takes years to start getting consistent sales, with them putting in hours every day. It can be difficult when you are spending so long on something, and it feels as though you are receiving nothing in return. However, if you are working consistently, your hard work will pay off.